Sunday, December 19, 2010

Seriously?!

Several things lately have made me say "Seriously?!", often times out loud.  I thought I would share a few.

  • I ALWAYS get a squeaky shopping cart when I go somewhere.  It doesn't matter where I am; I'm the one with the noisy cart walking down the aisles.  Then people look at me like I'm the one making it be so loud.  This is not my choice, people!
  • Speaking of shopping, the other day Hudson and I were at Target and I was buying a toy for a family member that's about his age.  He was playing with it in the (noisy) cart and when it came time to pay for it I asked if I could have it.  He handed it to me nicely and then proceeded to flip out.  And I mean flip out.  He started screaming at the top of his lungs and thrashing around in the cart.  Of course it was crowded because it's Target in December and all these people turn to look.  Then the woman in front of me in line turns around and says "Oh good.  A child is screaming and it's not mine".  Yeah, super great, lady.  To make matters worse, I had grabbed an item that didn't have a tag on it so the cashier was trying to figure out how much it was.  It was taking a while so she suspends my transaction and starts helping the people behind me.  So now I'm just standing by a crowded register with my psychotic child and waiting.  And waiting.  Luckily, Hudson did calm down and started being really cute and saying "bye bye" to everyone that was behind us in line as they left.  Bi-freaking-polar.
  • Speaking of Hudson, I put him in time out the other day because he violently shook the gate that blocks off the kitchen and it came off.  He's usually pretty good about time out and I can just tell him to go sit and he knows where to go and he sits.  He did it this time only as soon as I turned my back to fix the gate, he got right back up.  Lord help us, it has occurred to him that he can get up from time out.  I knew this day was coming, but I was not prepared for it.  I haven't gotten any further in my parenting book, but I have watched Supernanny a few times so I used her strategy.  I looked him in the eyes and told him he needed to stay in time out and I brought him back to the spot.  As soon as I turned around he got up again.  Let me inform you that each time he got up he ran right to me and was laughing hysterically.  Like, seriously hysterically.  And right in my face.  Each time after the initial put-back, I'll call it, I didn't say anything to him or look at him, I just put him back in time out.  I did this probably 8-10 times (all the while he's still laughing his head off) before I just got too frustrated so I put him in his crib, took everything out of it, and walked out of his room.  Oh, how quickly can laugher turn to tears.  I haven't had to put him in time out since then so I'm not sure if this is the new way time out is going to go.  But I do know I better crack open that parenting book.  Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment